A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about how I got to make my Oma’s apple cake on my own for the first time. Ever since then, I’ve had the urge to learn some of the other recipes that my family has come up with over the years. So, after talking with my mom, she agreed to show me how to make some of her favourites. I asked her to start with something easy so there would be a very minimal chance of me messing it up, and so we decided to start with her homemade chicken burgers. Growing up I was a very picky eater, but I like to think that I’ve gotten a lot better as I’ve gotten older. That being said, I’m still not the biggest fan of red meat and I have never been the person who would crave a hamburger. Chicken burgers are a totally different story though, and from the first time my mom made me on I crave them all the time. I also justify eating them a lot because they’re chicken and therefore they are leaner than an actual burger and therefore they are healthy, right? Right.
So, for anyone out there who isn’t the biggest fan of beef, or who is looking for a leaner option for a burger, please try this recipe! I guarantee you’ll love it.
1 pound ground chicken
½ cup crushed tortilla chips or any cracker of choice
1 tbsp of horseradish
1 tbsp ranch dressing
½ cup ketchup
1 tbsp sriracha * My mom thinks that this is enough to give these burgers a bit of spice (she also thinks mild salsa is spicy…) but I disagree! If you like spicy food, feel free to add another tbsp.
2 green onions, chopped up
- Add all ingredients to large mixing bowl. Mix together really well.
- If you want small patties, divide the mixture into six portions. If you want larger patties, divide the mixture into four portions.
- Lay out six or four pieces of saran wrap. Place divided meat on each piece. Fold saran wrap over and flatten into patty shape.
- Place on grill on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Place cheese of your choice on top of patties and cook till melted. (I recommend jalapeno Havarti)
- Remove from grill once melted and enjoy!.
** If you want to save the burgers for later, put them in the freezer in the saran wrap