With Valentine’s Day approaching, I was trying to think of something small, yet thoughtful, to give to my boyfriend. Since I’m currently living life on that student budget, we agreed not to get each other any gifts and just spend the day together. But, I still wanted to do a little something, so I decided I would make him one of his favourite treats – peanut butter balls! I didn’t even know these were a thing until we had started dating, but now they are one of my favourite things to make as they are so easy. There’s no baking required, and only five ingredients!
Now this is not an original recipe of mine so I want to give full credit to the creator, the amazing Two Twenty One. The original recipe calls for regular peanut butter and melting chocolate, but I like to substitute all-natural peanut butter and dark chocolate and they still taste amazing! The recipe also makes a very large amount of peanut butter balls. I’ve never counted exactly how many it makes when I use the whole recipe but I usually cut it by 1/4 and it makes around 20.
Every time I’ve made these they all seem to disappear quite quickly. Making these in advance probably wasn’t the best idea because it’s going to take all of my willpower not to eat them all before I can give them to my boyfriend. I guarantee these will be a hit among any chocolate and peanut butter lover – and that’s everyone who’s not nuts, right? Hope you enjoy!
- 3 cups of puffed rice cereal, crushed
- 2 cups all-natural smooth peanut butter
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 + 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 pound of dark melting chocolate
- Mix together the softened butter and smooth peanut butter.
- Add in the crushed rice cereal.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar. Mix well.
- Roll the mixture into equal-sized balls and place on a baking sheet or plate lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Once the balls are hardened, melt the chocolate.
- Using a spoon, dip the balls into the chocolate and coat them entirely.
- Place balls back onto parchment paper and if desired, top with sprinkles of your choice.
- Put back in refrigerate for 2 hours and then enjoy!